Medical Doctorate Joint Degree (MD/MPH)
Our MD/MPH program is one of only a few in the U.S. that offers the opportunity to obtain both the medical and public health degrees in four years. The MD/MPH program offers a four-year curriculum that truly integrates much of the MD and the MPH course work. Several new courses in both the MD curriculum and the MPH curriculum have been developed in order to enhance this integration. This is not a program that merely delivers two separate degrees. The integrated curriculum addresses the knowledge, skills and experiences fundamental to those competencies required of a public health physician at the time of graduation from medical school.
In addition to providing an outstanding foundation in the sciences basic to the practice of medicine and the pathophysiology of disease, the first two years at the Miami medical campus emphasize building a foundation and a community perspective in the principles of public health. Students move to the regional campus in Palm Beach County for years three and four of the program where the emphasis is on applying those principles to the clinical practice of public health while working in community teaching hospitals and public health department clinics and programs.
Timing of the MPH courses in the four-year MD/MPH program:
The MPH course work has been incorporated to the MD degree added without the need to replace any existing courses in the MD curriculum. This is accomplished by:
- Beginning MPH studies the summer before starting medical school;
- Completing MPH course work during one afternoon, three hours per week, during parts of the first, second, and third years;
- Using the shortened second year to complete MPH courses after taking the USMLE Step 1 examination and before starting the clinical clerkships;
- Transferring nine credits of MD course work to fulfill the 45-credits required for the MPH degree.
Program Duration: 4 years
Number of required credits: 211 total (36 MPH and 175 MD credits)
MPH Curriculum (36 credits)
Students in the four-year MD/MPH program are required to complete 36 credits of coursework. The program plan includes:
Required Elective Coursework (18 credits):
- EPH 600 Introduction to Public Health (3 credits)
- EPH 601 Medical Biostatistics I (3 credits)
- EPH 621 Fundamentals of Epidemiology (3 credits)
- EPH 641 Environmental Health (3 credits)
- EPH 617 Introduction to Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (3 credits)
- EPH 631 Public Health Administration (3 credits)
Required Elective Coursework (12 credits):
- EPH 621 Chronic Disease Epidemiology (3 credits)
- EPH 650 Public Health Policy (3 credits)
- EPH 653 Leading Change in Public Health (3 credits)
- EPH 660 Seminars in Contemporary Public Health Issues (3 credits)
Culminating Capstone Experience (6 credits):
A public health supervised field experience and project, which consists of 150 contact hours.
- EPH 680 Capstone Field Experience (3 credits)
- EPH 681 Capstone Project (3 credits)